Saturday, April 30, 2011

Ruffles Baby Blanket

The pattern for this blanket is by Terry Kimbrough, a favorite baby afghan designer of mine.  I  used  Bernat Baby Coordinates yarn.   It takes a bit of time to complete, but I think it is well worth the effort.

*********************Is it Minnie Mouse?

How fun to take bits and pieces of leftover yarn, add some polk-a-dots of white (Robins Nest) and make a tiny tot's hat that will have people looking twice. 

Monday, April 18, 2011

*****Fairy Dust JustRite 053

   A favorite JustRite stamp ensemble of mine is Quiet Moments and I chose bits and pieces of it to create my card.  I began by stamping and masking... stamping and masking the long branch with flowers; stamping, cutting and coloring with Copics the little girl; stamping and cutting from vellum,two sets of wings; stamping, cutting and coloring an extra bow; and making  25 little 3d flowers using Spellbinders Blossom 3 and making the border from Spellbinders Fleur De Lis Accents . Once the branches were stamped using Memento   and the flowers were colored with Copics (just in case the 3d flowers didn't cover everything) I stamped the sentiment  found in the same Quiet Moments set.  Fairy dust...hmmmm.... The dryer sheet technique worked very well.  I covered the stamped card with a used dryer sheet (spray adhesive was used to attach the dryer sheet to the card) and then liberally sprinkled Art Institute's glitter (color: Mimosa).  Excess glitter was bushed away and then I began the process of  constructing the card.  The flowers (directions below) were glued to the branches, the little girl's bow was pop dotted to her dress, the two sets of wings were put together and "ruffled" for a 3d effect and attached to the little girl's back with a tiny seed pearl . Now she is a fairy and she chose to climb up and settle on a branch to keep a watchful eye on things!
      Note: I made the flowers by using the smallest die from Blossoms 3 and cutting the flowers from white tissue paper.  I used Lumin Arts paint in various shades from light pink to dark pink to color each flower shape.  While wet, I placed it on the end of the paint brush and pinched and swirled to obtain the desired shape.  They were then set aside to dry before attaching them to the card.  Liquid Pearls was applied to the border punch to add a sheen to that element of the card.
   It is finished and I hope viewing this card will provide you a Quiet Moment and give you a time of reflection for all that is beautiful in your life.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

********Kalidescope of Spring Color JustRite 052

More than a card!  I was inspired with the colors of JustRite's 052 challenge (buttercup yellow, soft apricot, spring green, violet blue with a splash of brown) to create this card/gift.  Headbands for babies with big flowers are very poular these days and I love card making.  So, I made this presenation card to surprise my daughter/grandaughter.  She can wear the headband and the card goes in her scrapbook.  To make the card I first created the paper by blending yellow, apricot, green and violet blue watercolors on a piece of white watercolor paper.  When the paper was dry, I stamped/masked/stamped the background design using JustRite's Kalidescope rubber stamp.  The headband was made with a piece of  peach elastic lace and a two-tone yellow/dark peach silk flower.  A Spellbinders Label 20 was cut from violet blue  cardstock, which was then covered  with Sakura Crystal Lacqer and lightly sprinkled with with Art Institute crystal glitter.  A smaller Labels 20 was then cut from a light yellow paper,  I sponged a bit of light blue ink (Stampin Up) and using JustRite's Special Occassions 50 point font to create the sentiment. (and isn't she a pretty baby!) .  The finishing touches - brown chipboard flourish, peach dew drops, and two tiny violet blue pearls were used as accents.  Then, as soon as it was made, I gave the card to my daughter and grandaughter was happy to model her new wardrobe acquisition.  How fun!